FAQs on Porcelain Veneers: Be on Your Way to Your Best Smile
Smiles are good for you—and research has shown it. The act of smiling can boost your mood, relieve stress, and even improve immunity. So if you aren’t proud of your smile because of the shape, color, or spacing of your teeth, you could be missing out on a lot of opportunities to enjoy the many benefits of smiling. The good news is, if you don’t like your smile, you can do something about it. It’s possible porcelain veneers could be just the improvement you need to achieve a winning smile so you don’t have to hold back anymore.
Patients who don’t like their smile often come to us to see what can be done. We’ve compiled a list of questions our patients ask about how porcelain veneers work.
What are porcelain veneers?
Porcelain veneers are custom-made shells that cover the front side of your teeth. A small amount of enamel is removed from the front of your teeth to make room for the veneers. The veneers are permanently bonded to your teeth, and because we use your existing teeth as a base, they seamlessly integrate into your smile. You can get just one porcelain tooth to cover one problem area, or you can get a full set.
Am I a good candidate for porcelain veneers? When are veneers the best solution?
Veneers can help with a range of problems, including:
- Unsightly stains
- Teeth that are too long or short
- Teeth that are chipped or an unusual shape
- Teeth that are too large or small
- Small gaps or spaces that need to be tightened
Veneers overlay your existing teeth, so if your teeth are straight and don’t require shifting (which would be the work of braces), but you would like to see an aesthetic difference in your smile, veneers might be your best solution.
What is the benefit of veneers?
- A solution just for you. Porcelain veneers are custom made to solve your particular problem. So we can work together to figure out the best approach—whether that involves just one tooth or many—to getting you your best smile.
- A natural look. Because veneers use your teeth as a base, the work will blend and look natural.
- Veneers don’t stain. Unlike your tooth enamel, veneers are resistant to stains from wine, coffee, or smoking. And if you have a stain due to trauma or medicine, veneers could be the perfect fix!
- Easy to maintain. All you have to do to take care of your veneers is brush (using non-abrasive toothpaste) and floss as usual. It is also recommended that you avoid super hard and sticky food.
- Long-lasting. If you maintain your veneers and take proper care of them over time, your veneers could last you an average of 10-15 years, but it could be up to 20 years. Then you simply replace the veneers and the timeframe reboots.
What is the process for getting veneers?
It usually takes 3 visits to complete veneers. First, we have the initial consultation to discuss how you would like to improve your smile and to decide on whether and how veneers could work for you. At your second visit, we get started. We prepare the teeth by removing a small amount of the surface of the tooth (or teeth). We then take a cast so your veneers can be custom fit and sized. On your third visit, we apply a bond and place the veneer. You walk out of the office with your best smile in place!
Is it painful to get veneers?
Most patients don’t experience pain during the veneer process. When we prepare the teeth by removing the surface, we only remove a small amount. Your teeth may be sensitive from this removal, but that is only expected to last a short amount of time (usually a few days).
Are you interested in learning more about how veneers can work to enhance your smile? Dr. Lucy Rossi-Leone would love to help—she takes pride in helping her patients to develop a natural smile, which radiates self-confidence.
Call Leone Dental Group at (914) 273-2333 Schedule your consultation today!
Dr. Lucy Leone, Cosmetic Dentist in Armonk, NY